New life likely for lawsuits from Michael Jackson accusers


November 18, 2019

By ANDREW DALTON (AP) — A California appeals court will likely give new life to lawsuits filed by two men who accuse Michael Jackson of molesting them when they were boys.

In a tentative ruling Monday, the 2nd District Court of Appeal said lawsuits from James Safechuck and Wade Robson should be reconsidered by the trial court that dismissed them in 2017.

The decision is based on a new California law that gives sex abuse victims far longer to sue.

Michael Jackson.jpeg (83 KB)FILE - In this March 2, 2005, file photo, pop icon Michael Jackson waves to his supporters as he arrives for his child molestation trial at the Santa Barbara County Superior Court in Santa Maria, Calif. A California appeals court is strongly inclined to give new life to lawsuits filed by two men who accuse Michael Jackson of molesting them when they were boys. In a tentative ruling Monday, the 2nd District Court of Appeal said lawsuits from James Safechuck and Wade Robson should be reconsidered by the trial court that dismissed them in 2017. The decision is based on a new California law that gives sex abuse victims far longer to sue. (AP Photo/Michael A. Mariant, File)

Robson and Safechuck, who gained notoriety when they aired their accusations earlier this year in the Emmy-winning documentary “Leaving Neverland,” were in court for Monday’s brief hearing.

Lawyers for the Jackson estate say they accept the decision, but emphasize it is unrelated to the truthfulness of the allegations, which they have denounced as false.

---

Cover Photo: In this combination photo, Wade Robson, left, and James Safechuck pose for a portrait to promote the film "Leaving Neverland" during the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah on Jan. 24, 2019. A California appeals court is strongly inclined to give new life to lawsuits filed by Robson and James Safechuck who accuse Michael Jackson of molesting them when they were boys. In a tentative ruling Monday, the 2nd District Court of Appeal said lawsuits from the men should be reconsidered by the trial court that dismissed them in 2017. The decision is based on a new California law that gives sex abuse victims far longer to sue. (Photo by Taylor Jewell/Invision/AP)

Comments(0)

Log in to comment